Installing an .apk file on your dell streak is very easy, in this tutorial i will show you easy and simple steps to install the 3rd party android applications on your device without using dell mobile sync or android marketplace, you will learn how to use adb shell from android sdk and command prompt to install apk files on android devices. If you are using a Windows PC follow these steps
- Connect your Dell Streak android based device to your Windows PC with USB cable.
- Set your Dell Streak Device to “USB Debugging Mode”
- Download and Install Android SDK
- Update the Android SDK online by using SDK Manager to obtain latest platform tools
- Open the Command prompt
- Type: cd C:\program files\android\android-sdk\platform-tools
- Type: adb devices
C:\program files\android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices adb server is out of date. killing... * daemon started successfully * List of devices attached 00xxxxx0000xxxxx device
- Type: adb install D*: App_Name.apk [D* = Drive or Path to the folder where you have placed your .apk file]
C:\program files\android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb install d:myapp.apk 1939 KB/s (7014084 bytes in 3.532s) pkg: /data/local/tmp/d:myapp.apk Success
If you are using MAC or Linux OS on your PC, Follow these steps to install a 3rd party android .apk on your Device
1. Use a Mac or Linux PC.
2. Install the Android SDK for your platform.
3. cd to the tools directory where adb is located.
4. ./adb install